Meet Kirk F. Engel, DMD
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
News Flash: June 2019:
Congratulations to Dr. Engel for being recognized again as a Top Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon in CONNECTICUT MAGAZINE’S survey of Connecticut dentists. This is a significant honor as ballots were sent to more that 2,800 of the state’s practicing dentists asking them to whom they would send a loved one for oral surgery. Dr. Engel has been selected every year since 2009 for this honor.
Dr. Engel graduated with honors from Pennsylvania State University, obtaining a BS in biology. He obtained his Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) from Temple University School of Dentistry in 1983. He then completed a 21 year career in the United States Navy Dental Corps including both a General Practice Residency at Portsmouth Naval Hospital in 1984, and an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency at Bethesda Naval Hospital in 1995. He attained his board certifications from the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (ABOMS) in 1997 and the National Dental Board of Anesthesiology (NDBA) in 2003. Board certification is an examination for knowledge and ability by nationally chosen leaders of each specialty and is your assurance of the best specialized care. Prior to his retirement as a Captain in the United States Navy in 2004, Dr. Engel was the Department Head of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Naval Health Care New England in Groton, Connecticut. Dr. Engel is also a certified CPR instructor. He routinely attends the annual national AAOMS meeting as well as the biannual CSOMS meetings.
Dr. Engel is a member of:
- Fellow, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS)
- Diplomate, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Diplomate, National Dental Board of Anesthesiology
- International Congress of Oral Implantology
- American Dental Society of Anesthesiology
- American Dental Association
- Connecticut Society of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons (CSOMS), Program Chairman for Continuing Education, Vice President, and Member of the Executive Board
- New London County Dental Society, Past President
- Niantic Lions Club
- Connecticut State Dental Association
Hospital Staff Affiliation
Dr. Engel has staff privileges at The William W. Backus Hospital . Should the need arise for you to have a procedure performed in a hospital setting, our staff will provide you with information about the facility, admission procedures, and directions on how to get there.